Come and join* a dance group in Aberystwyth that dances a mixture of:
- American Contra Dances
- Modern English Country Dances
- “Playford”-style English Country Dances (eg: as seen in Jane Austen films)
– however, separate classes may be run at a later date if there is enough demand.
All dances are “walked through” first and then called during the dance – so no need to worry about memorising the steps. There’s no fancy footwork to master – it’s mostly just walking!
You don’t need to bring a partner, just your enthusiasm. Men are encouraged to dance with each of the ladies, and it’s fine for ladies to dance with ladies if one is willing to learn the men’s steps! In any case, we dance as much with everyone else in the set as our partner, and generally we change partners between each dance anyway.
We meet at 2 venues (see the full list of dates here):
- In Llanbadarn Fawr Church Hall (next to the Church, where some free parking is available) normally every 1st and 3rd Friday night of the month.
Each time there will be a ½-hour session at 7:30pm for those who have never done country dancing before (or recently) and would like a quick guide or refresher!
The main dancing is from 8pm to 10pm.
- In St Anne’s Church Hall (next to the Church, where there is free parking nearby, also opposite in the Neuadd Goffa car park, and in adjoining roads) on Wednesday afternoons from 2pm to 4pm, twice a month.
Each session costs just £2 per person (depending on numbers)! We are only charging enough to cover the hire of the hall – we provide biscuits, but please bring your own (non-alcoholic) drinks. You can come to any session at any time, just ‘pay as you go’ for each one, so do come along to see what it’s like.
* The group is mostly for adults (16 to 99+!), but children aged 12-16 are also welcome to come and learn, if supervised by a responsible adult.